If you have flat feet you are likely no stranger to foot, leg, and back pain. Flat feet, which are also known as fallen arches, is something that one third of adults suffer from. This can cause mild to extreme pain and discomfort after standing or walking for a prolonged amount of time. This is because the arch acts as a shock absorber for your feet and guides your stride through every step. However, with flat feet, you are losing the shock absorption, which means you feel the impact of every step, and you are more likely to have stability issues with your gait.
No one wants to deal with constant foot and leg pain if they can help it, nor should they have to. Thankfully, there is a way to combat the pain and discomfort that often comes with flat feet. Choosing the proper shoes for flat feet is one way to do this. If you are wondering what to look for in shoes for flat feet to alleviate your pain, keep reading!
What to Look for in Shoes for Flat Feet
If you are looking for shoes to compensate for your flat feet, there are certain things to consider. Aside from typical factors you consider when buying a pair of shoes like price, design, fit, and durability, there are other factors to keep in mind, such as:
- Stability Features: If you are looking for shoes to combat flat feet, you need to look for shoes that provide stability. Avoid shoes with extremely high or low heels, and look for a shoe that has strong support.
- Shock Absorption: Because people with flat feet are lacking the natural shock absorption, you should choose a pair of shoes that provides cushion for every step you take. Look for shoes with great shock absorption to combat your flat feet.
- Arch Support: You will also want a pair of shoes with adequate arch support. That being said, you don’t want too much arch support. Too much arch support can actually cause pain and bruising more so than not enough arch support.
- Motion Control: Another aspect that you should look for is shoes with motion control. People with flat feet often have over pronation or under pronation and do not have the proper gait. This can cause added stress and fatigue on joints and muscles in the feet, legs, and back. Be sure to choose a shoe that has the appropriate motion control for your gait-disorder.
- Removable Inserts: Another feature you want in the best shoes for flat feet is removable inserts. That is because sometimes flat feet can only be properly corrected with over the counter insets. Choose a pair of shoes that have a removable sole, so you can easily swap them out with the perfect inserts for your feet.
- Comfort: Comfort is also something that you should highlyconsider when buying shoes for flat feet. You should choose a shoe that provides adequate arch support and does not bend easily. You should also avoid a completely rigid sole in favor of one that bends at the toe to encourage natural foot movement. The shoes you choose should also be a pair that you can comfortably wear all day.
- Podiatrist Recommendation: Something else to keep in mind is what your podiatrist recommends. If your foot pain is very acute and prolonged, you should seek the advice of a doctor. They may have certain recommendations for the best shoes for your type of foot.
Now that you know what to look for in shoes for flat feet, which shoes are the best for you? That can be a difficult question to answer because there are hundreds of brands and models of shoes available. From sneakers and sandals to casual and dress shoes, there are shoes for flat feet for every occasion. Keep reading to learn more about the best shoes for flat feet for every scenario.
Top 5 Women’s Shoes for Flat Feet
If you are looking for the top five women’s shoes for flat feet, look no further than these shoes for flat feet from Brooks, Aetrex, and OluKai.
1. Brooks Women’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoe
If you are someone who works long shifts and is on your feet all day, you will want to consider the Brooks Women’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoe. These shoes are great for anyone that suffers from milk over pronation and come in a variety of colors for both women and men.
The great thing about the Brooks Women’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoe is that they come with a variety of options. With varying widths, laces vs. Velcro options and removable inserts, these shoes can become whatever you want them to be. Plus, the Brooks Women’s Addiction Walker Walking Shoe offers great arch support and cushioning, while also encouraging a normal walking motion.
2. Brooks Women’s Launch 4
If you are looking for running shoes for flat feet, the Brooks Women’s Launch 4 are the shoes for you. These shoes have gravity-defying cushioning. They are also extremely lightweight, which means less stress on your feet as you move through your day or workout. The 3D Fit Print upper technology ensures a snug but comfortable fit and the mesh fabric is breathable to keep your feet dry during even the most intense workouts. The Brooks Women’s Launch 4 also has a midfoot transition zone and heel crash pad for comfort, support, and improved stability. With a u-grove improved in this model, your foot is encouraged to find its natural motion. Plus, these shoes have the arch support necessary for someone with flat feet, and are built to last!
3. Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 18
The Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 18 has the optimal blend of stability and support. These shoes excel when it comes to cushioning and flexibility, which is why they are a great stability shoe. They encourage proper heel to toe transitions and the Progressive Diagonal Rollbar keeps your body in proper alignment. In addition, the midsoles are designed to adapt to your stride, while the TPU saddle pulls from the heel and securely wraps your foot to provide a comfortable and secure fit. The great thing about the Brooks Women’s Adrenaline GTS 18 is that they keep you comfortable day in and day out and have the proper arch support to alleviate some of the pain associated with flat feet.
4. Best Casual – Aetrex Women’s Corinne Slip On Shoes
If you are looking for a more casual option, the Aetrex Women’s Corinne Slip On shoes is a good choice for dress shoes. Aetrex is a reputable brand name with quality shoes and the Corinne Slip On Shoes are another great product. They are available in leather and suede, with a specially designed Lynco orthotic insole that will provide the necessary support, balance, and alignment for someone suffering from flat feet. The nice thing about the Aetrex Women’s Corinne Slip On Shoes is that the insole is also removable, so you can easily insert your own over the counter insoles. These shoes are built to last and you can easily wear them all day long without feeling pain.
5. Best Sandal – OluKai Ohana Sandal
The OluKaiOhana Sandal is another great option if you are looking for a more casual sandal. Although these shoes aren’t great for working out or going to work, they are a nice casual option for hanging outside or making your way around town. Typically people with flat feet avoid flip flops, but the OluKaiOhana Sandal has a solid structure and built in arch support that is perfect for people with fallen arches. Plus, they feature an anatomically shaped insole that makes them a great fit for walking around. They might not be a good choice for walking up or down hill or on extremely uneven surfaces, but flat feet suffers should rejoice that this sandal has hit the market. They come in a variety of colors, so get one, two, or five pairs!
Top 5 Men’s Shoes for Flat Feet
If you are looking for the top five men’s shoes for flat feet, look no further than these shoes for flat feet from Brooks, Saucony, ASICS, and ECCO.
1. Brooks Men’s Beast ’16
If you are looking for a great pair of fitness or walking shoes and you suffer from flat feet, the Brooks Men’s Beast ’16 is a good option to consider. These shoes are perfect for anyone struggling with motion control. These shoes are also a good option for anyone with mild over pronation who are looking for added stability. In terms of cushioning, the Brooks Men’s Beast ’16 has ample padding and shock absorption to alleviate the stress of repeated impact while running or walking. The mesh upper also wicks moisture away to keep your feet dry, while the advanced flex grooves on the outsole allow your foot the flexibility necessary to maintain smooth heel to toe transitions and natural foot motion.
2. Saucony Men’s Guide 10 Running Shoes
If you are looking for men’s workout shoes for flat feet, the Saucony Men’s Guide 10 Running Shoes are another good option. These shoes are designed to specifically assist with over pronation while also serving as supportive and high quality running shoes. With an engineered mesh upper that boasts both moisture control and a lightweight but stable fit, the Saucony Men’s Guide 10 Running Shoes are refined. The shoes also provide a plush cushion while also offering stability and adequate arch support. The lightweight FLEXFILM overlays also offer the wearer stability and support, while the TRI-Flex outsole is designed to provide optimal flexibility and shock absorption for those suffering from flat feet.
3. ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe
For those with flat feet looking for a quality pair of running shoes, the ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe might be a great option. ASICS is a quality brand that runners often turn to, and the ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe is specifically designed to help with people suffering from over pronation. The high-abrasion rubber outsole provides exemplary traction while the rear foot GEL cushioning has all the shock absorption you need to make up for what’s lacking with your flat feet. Plus there’s a removable sock liner that allows you to insert custom orthotics specifically designed for your feet. For shoes that provide comfort, support, stability, and traction for someone with flat feet, the ASICS Men’s Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe is hard to beat.
4. Best Casual – ECCO Men’s Helsinki Slip-On
Workout shoes are one thing, but if you are on your feet all day in a professional setting, you need to have a quality pair of shoes for flat feet that are acceptable to wear in the office. The ECCO Men’s Helsinki Slip-On is just that. From the quality brand ECCO, these shoes are a sleek leather loader that comes in both black and brown. They are designed with cushioning and support to keep you comfortable all day long while still providing a stylish look. There is an absorbent lining that wicks away moisture to keep your feet dry and a PU outsole with shock absorption capabilities. Plus, these shoes have a removable insole so you can swap them out for custom orthotics if you choose.
5. Best Sandal – ECCO Men’s Yucatan Sandal
People with flat feet often avoid flip flops and sandals not because they want to, but because they have to. Many sandals do not offer adequate arch support or shock absorption, but the ECCO Men’s Yucatan Sandals are not your typical sandal. If you are looking for a casual pair of sandals for flat feet, the ECCO Men’s Yucatan Sandal might be right for you. These sandals are both lightweight and supportive and come in a variety of colors and sizes. The directly injected PU midsole has full length RECEPTOR technology to provide exemplary support and stability, and the dual density foot bed offers cushioned comfort. These flexible sandals have everything you need whether you are walking around town or hitting the hiking trails.