When you’re moving about throughout the day, the last thing you want to experience is foot pain. While uncomfortableness is not unheard of while wearing shoes all day if you have excess supination you might experience increased discomfort and pain.
The last thing you want is to be wincing every time you are walking around work or even through the shopping mall. Serious pain doesn’t just affect your health, it can also affect you mentally.
Thankfully, having the right shoe on your feet can combat excess supination.
By purchasing a pair of shoes that are specifically designed for supination, you can alleviate the aggravating foot pain that you experience every day. You might think of orthopedic shoes and see the dollar signs adding up in your head, but don’t panic. Yes, specialized orthopedic shoes can be extremely costly, but there are actually shoes from the normal shoe brands that you know and love that can help with supination.
From Nike and Under Armour to Asics, Saucony, and New Balance, there are affordable shoes from everyday brands that have the features necessary to keep your feet supported and comfortable during those long days.
There’s good news! If you’re looking to reduce supination pain, there are many shoe options on the market to help.
Top Best 12 shoes for supination in 2020 – updated November 2020
So, now that you know shoes for supination can help alleviate pain, how do you choose the right pair? With thousands of brands and models of shoes on the market, how can you narrow it down? Where do you even start? Thankfully, we’ve done it for you. We have poured through never-ending lists of shoes to find only the best supination shoes. If you are suffering from supination and need a shoe that gives you comfort and support, look no further.
1. Brooks Ghost 9 Running Shoes – View On Amazon
If you are looking for a stylish shoe that is also great for combating supination, the Brooks Ghost 9 Running Shoes are a great option. These shoes provide medium to high arch support that not only helps with supination but also keeps your foot stable and aligned. The Brooks Ghost 9 Running Shoes also have superior breathability with a mesh upper that keeps moisture out while providing breathability to keep your feet healthy and dry.
When it comes to value, the Brooks Ghost 9 Running Shoes delivers. Not only are they affordable, but these running shoes also work great on any running surface. Whether you’re looking to run cross-country or through the busy streets of New York City, the Brooks Ghost 9 Running Shoes are built to last.
- The shoe has mid to high arch support
- Mesh upper provides breathability and keeps feet dry
- Flexible upper offers more comfortable fit
- High arch is not compatible for people with flat feet
- Wearers note that the toe is narrow
2. Saucony Cohesion 9 Running Shoes – View On Amazon
When it comes to supination shoes, the Saucony Cohesion 9 Running Shoes are a good option for some people. These shoes are not just stylish, but they also come with a litany of benefits. First and foremost, these shoes are durable and built to last. They are comprised of a breathable mesh upper that will keep your feet cool and dry throughout the day.
The Saucony Cohesion 9 Running Shoes also come with an integrated Heel GRID system that provides stable cushioning around the clock. The shoes also come with unique flex grooves that add traction and flexibility necessary to help with supination.
As far as supination shoes go, the Saucony Cohesion 9 Running Shoes are comfortable, durable, and provide great performance.
- Breathable mesh upper keeps feet cool and dry
- Supportive overlays
- Padded collar and tongue for added comfort
- Heel GRID system connects with responsive midsole foam to deliver stable cushioning
- Flex grooves provide better traction and impact absorption
- Not good at keeping feet warm due to breathable mesh uppers
3. Mizuno Wave Rider 20 Shoes – View On Amazon
For those looking for a great running shoe that alleviates underpronation pain, the Mizuno Wave Rider 20 is one of the best options for shoes available on the market. Not only do these shoes come with a sleek design, they also have a quality construction. The U4IC midsole is foam and the EVA sole is not just flexible, it also provides added comfort and support. As far as upper goes, the Mizuno Wave Rider 20 feature a triple zone engineered mesh that provides both breathability and comfort. This is one of the biggest selling points of the Mizuno Wave Rider 20 because it prevents heel and ankle irritation. Although the Mizuno Wave Rider 20 shoes fall into the medium to high price category, they are a quality pair of shoes for anyone with underpronation.
- Triple zone engineered mesh upper provides breathability and comfort
- Comfortable cloudwave sole
- U4IC midsole
- Lightweight shoes
- These shoes are tighter so you may need to size up
- More expensive
4. Asics Gel-Cumulus 19 Running Shoes – View On Amazon
The Asics Gel-Cumulus 19 Running Shoes are another one of the best supination shoes on the market. That’s because Asics packs these shoes with a variety of advanced technology meant to alleviate supination pain. First, the I.G.S. or Impact Guidance System technology links the shoe components to optimize and naturalize your gait.
The FluidRide midsole provides both bounce back and the necessary cushion to keep you comfortable on your feet, and the GEL cushioning is able to absorb impact to reduce supination. The Asics Gel-Cumulus 19 Running Shoes also come with a Guidance Trusstic System that enhances your gait while providing midfoot structural support.
The great thing about the Asics Gel-Cumulus 19 Running Shoes is that everything is built in so you don’t even notice that your gait is being optimized.
- Comes with Impact Guidance System to enhance natural foot gait
- FluidRide Midsole offers the ultimate combination of bounce back and cushion
- Gel cushioning systems alleviates shock and impact and helps foot transition through gaits
- Vertical flex grove midsole for enhanced gait proficiency
- They can be tight-fitting in the toe box so you might need to size up
5. New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 Shoes – View On Amazon
For a moderately priced supination shoe, the New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 Running Shoes are another option to consider. These shoes are made with a no-sew mesh bootie upper and also features a molded foam collar that enhances comfort.
For those suffering from supination, the New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 Running Shoes also deliver optimal comfort and support through the Fresh Foam midsole cushion.
The blown rubber outsole is also durable and meant to last, with deep treads that provide stability even on the slipperiest of surfaces. The New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 Running Shoes also come with a breathable mesh upper that allows your foot to flex freely and alleviate pressure points. For supination shoes, the New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 Running Shoes are an affordable yet quality option.
- Comes with an Ortholite sock liner for added comfort
- No-sew construction
- Foam midsole for added support
- Removable insert is easy to clean
- Durable rubber outsole with strong traction
- Treads wear quickly
6. Brooks Glycerin 14 Shoes – View On Amazon
The Brooks Glycerin 14 Running Shoes are another great show option for anyone dealing with supination. These shoes aren’t just flashy with a mint green and purple color combination, they are also extremely well made. The shoe features a crash pad meant to absorb shock and foam materials designed to add comfort and support for those long days. In addition, the Brooks Glycerin 14 also has a DNA midsole that is considered one of the most comfortable midsoles on the market. For anyone with alignment issues, they will love the rounded heel that the Brooks Glycerin 14 shoes have. This keeps a straight alignment, which will reduce pain and stress on your joints. For a shoe that is comfortable, supportive and built to last, the Brooks Glycerin 14 shoes are hard to beat.
- DNA midsole for long-lasting durability
- Rounded heel for improved alignment
- Able to handle various terrain
- Crash pad designed to absorb shock
- The threads aren’t as long lasting as others
7. Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes – View On Amazon
Nike brand loyalists will rejoice at finding their favored brand on this list. The Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes are another great option for those looking for the best supination shoes on the market. They Zoom Air technology from Nike provides cushioning that is both supportive and responsive. The lace-up closure featuring Flywire cables also provides a secure fit to enhance stability while wearing them. In addition, the Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes also have a pressure-mapped outsole that provides a smoother workout for wearers. The Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes are also extremely comfortable due to the comfort-fit collar and thick midsole sock liner. If you are looking for great workout shoes for supination, the Nike Air Zoom Vomero Shoes are a great option.
- Nike is a reputable brand
- Comfort-fit collar for added comfort and support
- Thick midsole sock liner
- Superior impact absorption to cushion feet and alleviate pain
- Ultra-responsive zoom air technology in the heel and sole
- More expensive than other shoes
8. Nike Free 5.0 Running Shoes – View On Amazon
The Nike Free 5.0 Running Shoes is another pair of shoes that Nike lovers will enjoy. These shoes are not only stylish—they’re Nike what else do you expect?—but they are also built to last for quite some time. When it comes to foot support, the Nike Free 5.0 Running Shoes have you covered. These shoes come with a diamond flex design and midfoot wrap that provides added stability and lateral support. The Nike Free 5.0 Running Shoes also have crisscross panoply bands in the forefoot that offer a customized fit that will keep you comfortable even during the longest of days. Plus, the Nike free flex grooves offer more flexibility and impact absorption, which is essential for dealing with supination. For someone with supination, the Nike Free 5.0 Running Shoes are a great option.
- Full-length inner sleeve offers maximum comfort and support
- Diamond flex design decreases multi-directional foot movement
- Criss-cross nanoply bands in the forefoot provide customized, comfortable fit
- Nike free flex grooves give added flexibility and comfort
- Midfoot wrap for increased lateral support
- Dual density midsole
- Insoles are not removable
- Tight fitting so you might need to size up
9. Asics Gel Kinsei 6 Running Shoes – View On Amazon
Another good option for supination shoes is the Asics Gel Kinsei 6 Running Shoes. These shoes come with standard Asics patented technology that will support and sooth your feet. The Asics Gel Kinsei 6 Running Shoes feature a rubber sole and seamless mesh upper for increased breathability. They also incorporate a discreet heel unit that improves foot stability and will keep your foot from rocking side to side, thereby alleviating supination pain. In addition, the Asics Gel Kinsei 6 Running Shoes comes with rear foot GEL cushioning and FluidRide technology to absorb impact and keep you comfortable all-day long. The Propulsion Trusstic Technology also seamlessly integrates with your foot to create a customized fit that is unparalleled in most other supination shoes.
- Durable rubber sole
- Seamless mesh for added breathability and foot health
- Integrated FluidRide bounce back cushioning
- Trusstic system for added stability and support
- Discreet heel inset for improved stability
- Comfortable GEL soles are comfortable
- Lightweight construction
- More expensive
10. Asics Gel Nimbus Running Shoes – View On Amazon
The Asics Gel Nimbus Running Shoes are also shoes that are great for someone dealing with supination. The sleek shoes come in a variety of colors and designs and you can rest assured that your feet will have added comfort and support. The FLYTEFOAM midsole technology is great for reducing the packing out that happens with low density foams, and also provides superior bounce back and responsiveness. In addition, the shoe also offers FluidRide midsoles that add comfort and cushioning for those long days. The Fluid Fit upper that the Asics Gel Nimbus Running Shoes are also great for providing a customized fit for your feet. The bottom line is that if you’re looking for a great shoe for supination, the Asics Gel Nimbus Running Shoes definitely deliver.
- Features FLYTEFOAM Midsole technology for great responsiveness and bounce back
- FluidRide midsoles have exemplary cushioning and durability
- 3 D printed overlays for extra support
- Fluid Fit upper accommodates foot’s natural motion for a customized fit
- Don’t need to be broken in
- The toe box is tight so you should size up
- More expensive than other shoes
11. Under Armour Micro G Assert 6 Shoes – View On Amazon
If you are a brand loyalist and love Under Armour, you’ll be happy to see that they also make the list. The Under Armour Micro G Assert 6 is an attractive shoe that offers a lot of benefits. With an EVA midsole, the Under Armour Micro G Assert 6 is a flexible and supportive shoe that will keep your feet feeling comfortable even on the longest of days. The outsole is built to absorb impact and support every step taken. The advanced traction soles also make these phenomenal workout shoes for any type of terrain or surface. With added padding along the collar and a mesh upper, the Under Armour Micro G Assert 6 shoes provide comfort, support, and pain-free wear.
- EVA shock liner to reduce pressure points and stress
- Breathable mesh upper
- Padded collar for added comfort
- Attractive design
- Great traction for any surface
- Narrow in the toes
- The soles wear after frequent use
12. New Balance MC806 Shoes – View On Amazon
While the New Balance MC806 might not be the most attractive shoes for supination on the market, they certainly get the job done. With patented ROLLBAR technology designed to keep ankles safe and steady, these shoes are impressive. The New Balance MC806s also feature ABZORB cushioning that absorbs high impacts to keep your feet healthy and stress free. In addition to the support features, these supination shoes are also comfortable. With padded collars and tongues, you won’t need to worry about skin irritation. The New Balance MC806s also have a moisture wicking liner to keep your feet odor and sweat free. If you are looking for a great show to keep everything aligned from your toes to your back, the New Balance MC806 shoes are hard to beat.
- ROLLBAR technology for added ankle stability
- Moisture wicking lining keeps feet dry and healthy
- Padded tongue and collar for added support and comfort
- ABZORB cushioning designed to alleviate stress from impact
- The sole can separate from the bottom of the shoe after frequent use
Supination Shoes Buyers Guide: What to Consider When Buying the Best Supination Shoes
Now that you know what are the best supination shoes, the trick is finding the best pair for you. How do you do that? Well, knowing what to look for when buying supination shoes is a good start. With so many different brands and models of shoes on the market, there are many things to consider from support and comfort to durability and traction. If you are looking for the best supination shoes, here are the main criteria to consider:
- Type of Supination: The first thing you need to think about when buying shoes are what type of foot you have. You need to understand what type of supination or pronation you have; over-pronation, neutral-pronation, and under-pronation.
- Over-pronation is when your weight transfers from heel to toe but in an exaggerated fashion. To combat this you will need shoes that have medial support with a dual-density midsole to combat over-pronation.
- Neutral-pronation is when the body weight does not shift viably. Typically, the weight shifts inward, but not enough to compensate and relive outer foot stress. Shoes for neutral-pronation generally have metal backings and dense mid-soles to alleviate stress.
- Under-pronation is also known as supination. This occurs when the foot does not pronate at all and instead the weight rolls to the outside of your feet. This can cause ankle-sprains, shin splints, and even plantar-fasciitis. To combat supination, you will need a shoe with a strong cushion that focuses on shock dispersion. Also known as “movement control” shoes, these shoes generally have additional padding in the medial section with a flatter outsole.
- Arch Support: This is important when purchasing any shoes, but especially for those with supination. You will want to find a shoe that has a cushioned arch to support and stabilize the foot. Higher arch support is better for people with supination, although you can always get orthopedic inserts if you need to customize an arch for perfect comfort and support.
- Cushioning: For supination, mitigating impact is essential. That is why you want to find a shoe with ample cushioning that will soften the repeated impact of your foot hitting the ground. Not only will adequate cushioning help with supination, but it will also ensure that your feet are pain-free and comfortable even during the longest of days.
- Breathability: Something else that is essential when purchasing supination shoes is breathability. Sweaty feet aren’t happy feet, so shoes with a breathable mesh upper are great. Gel uppers and soles are also good for breathability, which will keep your feet dry and healthy. This not only improves the comfort of your feet by wicking moisture away, but it also keeps them healthy by reducing the threat of infection and irritation.
- Medial Post: A medial post is something found only in supination shoes. These insets go directly into the heel or a shoe to limit side to side motion. This is a great way to control impact and increase stability, both of which are essential for reducing supination pain. While a supination shoe does not need to have a medial post, it’s a surefire way to tell if a shoe is specifically designed for someone with supination.
- Heel Support: For shoes to combat supination, you will also want to find a shoe with good heel support. A great implant in the heel to prevent your foot from rolling from side to side will help alleviate supination pain. This isn’t necessary for supination shoes, but it’s definitely an added bonus.
- Flexibility: When looking for a shoe for supination you also want to check the flexibility of the shoe. This is important in any workout shoe, but especially for someone with supination. Flexibility in a shoe will reinforce a natural step by increasing inward movement. That is why soft midsole shoes are the best option for supination shoes. Avoid dual density midsoles at all costs!
- Durability: If you are paying a good amount of money for supination shoes, make sure they are durable. Quality brands like Nike, Saucony, New Balance, Asics and Under Armour are generally constructed with great materials. Treads are usually the first thing to do with shoes, so be sure to check reviews and ensure the shoes are durable. The last thing you want is for a pair of shoes to completely wear after you’ve only had them a month or two.
- Traction: When it comes to staying upright, traction is essential. This is especially important for someone with supination who is looking for shoes to exercise in. You want to stay upright and steady and shoes with great traction will help. Look for shoes with thick soles and deep treads. These types of shoes will offer strong traction and keep you from slipping.
- Fit & Feel: Aside from everything else, the fit and feel of a shoe are essential. Regardless of whether or not you are purchasing shoes strictly for supination, you need to ensure that it fits properly. Be sure to try on shoes while you can still return them. If you feel tight or pinching sensations, this is not a good fit. You also want to make sure that your foot will not slide around because the shoe is too big. This is especially bad for someone trying to combat supination. Make sure they’re snug, but not too tight. If you’re up for it, try jogging or going up and down stairs to make sure there are not any issues.
- Price: Budget is obviously something to keep in mind when you are looking for supination shoes. These shoes will not last you a lifetime, so be conscious when spending. You want to get shoes that are comfortable, but some are going to be costlier than others. Keep in mind that higher priced shoes are often made of higher quality materials and may last longer than less expensive shoes. Also, specialized orthopedic shoes willbe more expensive than standard shoes, but your health doesn’t have a price tag on it, does it?
- Brand: If you are somewhat of a brand loyalist, what brand you shoes are will matter. Thankfully, there are many brands scattered across our list of the best supination shoes. From Nike and Under Armour to Asics and New Balance, this list has them all. As always, keep in mind that the brand you love might not have the best shoes for your type of feet.